Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Blogs vs. Wikis - A Matter of Preference?

I had done very little with Wikis before this class, although I had heard of them and knew roughly how they worked. The video we watched in class explaining how they worked "in plain English" was eye-opening. Even though they told me what I already knew, the creator put it in such a way that showed me I most likely could use these relatively easily and effectively. I may even create a Wiki with my sisters to plan my parents' 30th wedding anniversary party :)

As for use in my classroom, however, I have to say I am much more partial to blogs. Its incredibly structured format give students very clear guidelines on how to use it and what we're using it for - and we all know how much kids NEED structure! The possibilities with wikis are endless, but that's what concerns me. Students who are still learning technology are often overwhelmed by the possibilities and don't know where to start. That being said, I can see its use within a classroom, if a teacher is present to guide students through its use and give them very explicit instructions, starting them off with basic structured tasks. I may be exploring this more in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment