Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Animoto - "Expressions Avec Faire"

My Animoto will be used with my 8th grade classes when we learn the verb "faire." "Faire" is the verb "to do" or "to make" and it used in a TON of expressions in French. Sometimes it is difficult for students to understand why expressions that use "faire" in French do not always translate word for word. For example, in English we say "go on a picnic" or "have a picnic," but in French they say "faire un pique-nique" (do a picnic). Therefore, I get questions like "I want to write that I'm going on a picnic this weekend. How do you say 'go?'" I have to explain that it is not worded the same way. This is a good way to introduce the verb and how it's used. After we watch the Animoto, students can answer the question at the end about what they noticed about the expressions and their meanings - HOPEFULLY they will pick up on the fact that the translations in English did not always use the word "do" or "make!"


4 comments:

  1. Great job on your video! I know nothing about French and found myself guessing what the phrase was going to be. It was very engaging. Let us know how your students react!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video is great! I agree with Rosina, it is very engaging! I also love the music. Learning a language is tough... I like that you incorporated this visual to help with tricky vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great refresher from my days in French class :)
    Learning another language is always easiest when attention grabbers are involved, and your Animoto is a great way to grab your students' attention! It moves though the different verbs at a pace that will allow students the opportunity to absorb the material. Great music selection!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristin, your animoto is wonderful! I really enjoyed watching it and it was clear that you were teaching verbs or "to do" throughout the animoto. The background and pictures were very bright and creative as wellAwesome job, I'm sure your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete